Motorsport UK

Get a Licence

A lot of grass roots club motor sport – AutoSOLOs and Autotests, for example – do not require competitors to have special licences; often all that is needed is club membership. However, for some events you will need an Motorsport UK Competition Licence.

There are various different licence types, and grades within those licence types, so you need to make sure you know which one you need before applying for it.

General guidance on licence requirements can be found on each motor sport discipline’s page in the Types of Motorsport Section, though it is always a good idea to check with the organiser of the event or championship you want to compete in if you are unsure.

Some licence grades can be purchased ‘off the shelf’. However, for the Race, Rally and Kart disciplines you will first need to buy a Starter Pack from the Motorsport UK Shop and then pass either an ARDS (Race), BARS (Rally) or ARKS (Kart) test.

A Novice Competition Licence application form comes with the pack and includes a section that must be stamped by the ARDS, BARS or ARKS examiner. If you are aged 18 or over and applying for either a Race or Kart licence a GP must also complete Section 4 of the form.

Additionally, if you are under 18 years old and applying for a Kart licence, one of your parents must also apply for an Entrant Kart PG Licence.

If you are applying for a first-time licence other than Race, Rally or Kart, you simply need to fill in a standard Competition Licence application form, which can be found on the Motorsport UK website or by clicking here.

The majority of Motorsport UK Competition Licences can be applied for online and are dispatched within 10 days – five quicker than those applied for by post. To apply online, click here.

To speak to a member of the Motorsport UK Licensing Department, call 01753 765 050.